Pages

Thursday, July 5, 2012

Beautiful Scars


A big chunk of our family time happens on-the-go, running errands in our sage green mini-van.  
It was the week before Thanksgiving and we had several destinations to check off that afternoon.  
We had reached the point in the day when sweet treats beckon, but dinner seems far off. The bickering from the older kids in the back seat was noticeably absent. On a whim, we pulled into the drive-thru and ordered two kid sized hot chocolates and a juice box.  Cheers and laughter erupted from the back seat.  Sweets! With Whipped Cream! Happy day!  John and Laurie Wilks: Parents of the Year!
We waited, as patiently as possible.  Soon enough, an awkward teenager handed us our steamy liquid goodness.  We thanked her and I passed them back to the worlds happiest 8 and 4 year-old kids.  They were so grateful, it melted my heart.  I hollered a warning that their drinks were hot; and glance back at their smiling faces as John pulled back on to the highway.
I wish I could have frozen this moment and savored it.
Suddenly, I heard an ear piercing, terrified scream from my 4 yr old daughter.  She just kept screaming, and crying.  Traffic prevented us from turning around or pulling over.
She couldn't manage words over the primal screams of pain.  In a matter of seconds we'd gone from mini-van bliss to utter chaos.
(Please read the rest of the story that I wrote as a guest post on leannepenny.com Through the magic of twitter I found Leanne's amazing testimony of choosing faith over fears and joy over despair.  May we journey together and let God redeem our painful moments. ) 

No comments:

Post a Comment