Pages

Saturday, February 25, 2012

Mad, Mad, World

It occurs almost daily at now. My sweet bright-eyed Ian rushes up to me. He stomps his little two-year-old foot with the force of Goliath. He crosses his arms like an 80's rapper posing for a photo op. He glares, inches from my face and yells at echoing decibels, “I MAD, MOM!!!!” If I am wise in this moment, nothing, and no one moves or responds until Ian is sure that he has been heard. His frustration has been noted. We all understand, “He MAD.”

I wish I could say that the world stopping anger of my toddler proved the only madness so alive and well in the world we know. It keeps good company. Road rage interrupts our commute. Political pundits engage in a heated arguments. Stories of violence over whelm the news. Books on anger management flood our shelves. We yell at our sports heroes. We scream at our golf balls. We call strangers names via social media. We smash a stress ball at our desk while we envision the head of a co-worker. We grunt at our video games. We laugh at hateful women as they pull each others hair out on reality TV. WE ARE MAD.

We live in a world soaking in anger. We are angry that our world is not as it should be. Things are broken. We are hurting. We want solutions. We want fix-its. We want justice. We are MAD.

As a parent, I often find my ire raised over the oddest little things: Someone left the legos out to be stepped on-- AGAIN.... I told you to find your shoes 20 minutes ago.... Don't you listen?..... Did we REALLY need to see how many suds it would make if you poured my shampoo down the toilet? Grrrrrr.... Just GO to bed!!!

I tell myself that it is justified. They need to learn these things. They need to be respectful show consideration. Be safe. It is okay that I get mad. I am right. They can't make those choices. How else will things change? I tell myself that my angry reactions will help others see better, more reasoned, or more righteous choices the next time. They need to know when “I MAD.”

Then I read this:

"My dear brothers and sisters, take note of this: Everyone should be quick to listen, slow to speak and slow to become angry, because human anger does not produce the righteousness that God desires."
James 1:19-20
(Ouch.)

Let's be honest. So often, we pretend our frustration is the same as the righteous indignation of Jesus over turning tables. In reality, it stands as nothing more than the simple short fuse of sinful humans. We cloak our anger in the guise of righteousness to comfort ourselves, or to boost our good and noble intentions. Human anger cannot, and will not, bring about the result we say that we want. It can't. Righteousness comes by faith and sacrifice. Righteousness culminates in the cross. But this human anger hides the cross and gives prominence to the enormity of our own annoyances.

Righteous indignation reflects God's ultimate love for his people. The cross is always in view. The goal is always in mind.

The other day I caught my refection in the mirror as I was convincing one of my precious children that: I was right, they were wrong and yes, I was MAD. Suffice to say the first thing reflected in my expression was neither love or righteousness. In fact, it was frustration, anger, stress, and general Agggggghhhhhhhh! Could they see Christ in me in that moment? Doubtful. Did it bring about the change that I wanted? Nope. Lord, have mercy.
I am not saying we should all strive become shiny, happy, stepford Christians who keep up a thick facade, and never admit we are angry over the little things, (or even the big injustices of life). Instead we need to bring all of our true emotions and annoyances before the throne of Grace. Only then can we have true refuge and salvation in and from this ocean of brokenness and anger. Calling it fine or hiding behind our “rightness” only adds to the problem.

As we get honest, we need to get connected. Surrounding ourselves with a community of believers is crucial. We were created to need others. This human anger tries to convince us we are better off alone. Again, the safety of the community can shrink the power of human anger by perspective, prayer, and growth. Just as Ian needs to be heard in his MAD moments we do too.

As we get connected we can begin to seek habits, and cultivate thoughts that can allow us to be the
harbor and refuge from the angry world we want to be.... for our kids, or friends and ourselves. Instead of hiding behind the Righteousness of God, we can actually be known by and called by, the Christ who embodies that Righteousness. The same Holy Spirit that empowered him empowers us today. May we reflect Him in every moment even when the world screams MAD.


What things annoy you, or make you angry?
What do you do about it?

How does your faith connect to your emotions?

1 comment: