Pages

Sunday, October 30, 2011

Once was Lost

The sun was hot.  The smiles were huge.  It was a memory-making kind of day.  We had been meandering through beautiful San Antonio, headed to the Alamo, without a care in the world.  Three tiny words  burst the vacation bubble:  "Where is Abi?" She had been walking ahead of me, with the group of our family in front.  I remembered her slowing a little, and I figured she was bringing up the rear with the group behind me.  I whipped around.  She was gone.  GONE.  No little yellow shirt, blond hair and pink plaid Mary-Janes anywhere. A matter of seconds had passed, yet everything changed.  The city once happy and free with the relaxation of vacation instantly became cruel, oppressive and steeped in the scariness of LOST. Without a second thought, I left the other three other kids with Grandma and ran as fast as my legs would go.  John ran.  David ran.  Marc ran.  A sea of people closed in around us walking, laughing, shopping, and talking.  How could they possibly be so completely oblivious to the fact that my Abi was LOST?  How did everyone else not feel the world come to a screeching halt?  How did those around me not feel the claustrophobic choking grip of LOST on the world?

Pray. Run. Search. Pray.  All that would come out of my lips was "Jesus. Abi. Please."  In no particular order: "Abi, Jesus, please."   I tried to listen for her... Her four year-old heart had to be terrified.  Cry out again.  "Please. Abi, Jesus."  Pray.  Run.  Search.  What else can  I do?  Anything, really...I would.  Can she hear me?  The memories flashed in my eyes as they darted through the crowded unfamiliar streets.   I remembered so clearly the day that she was born and we named her.  I remembered John holding her up with a thousand giggles. I remembered making cookies with her and rocking her to sleep.  I remembered walking in the hot sun to pick Ben up from kindergarten. I remembered pushing her on the tree swing just the day before. I made a conscious decision not to think about what might happen...  Pray.  Run.  Search.  Still  LOST.  Keep running, Keep praying, Keep calling out.  Keep looking.  LOST cannot have the last word.

And then, up ahead I saw a beautiful and familiar sight.  John had scooped her up off the urban sidewalk into his arms and was whispering in her ear.  I exhaled for what seemed like the first time since I started running and collapsed into the hug.   That  may have been the longest few minutes of my life.

To the family who noticed the lost-ness and convinced my little princess to stay put until we found her:  Thank you just seems to fall short.    May the Lord himself bless you for your kindness.  To my family who ran with me, and tirelessly helps me care for the flock on a daily basis:  I love you.  You make me a better woman.

And to those who read these words now, take a moment  and ponder with me.  Where do you fit into the retelling of the story?

Are you, lost and alone, like my Abi, in unfamiliar territory and needing to be scooped up into the arms of your Heavenly Father?  Be assured.  He stands there and  ready... weather you have been gone one minute, or a lifetime.    The Scriptures are brimming with examples of a God who creates history by going to great lengths to eradicate the lost-ness of His children.

Are you in the crowd, going about every day business blind to the Lost-ness permeating the world, the neighborhood and the people around you?  Be aware.  It exists.  Ask the Lord to give you eyes to see and courage to respond.  He will not ask you for any sacrifice He has not already given, in Himself, for you.

Are you like me, on that day, frantically running trough the streets trying to connect, winded but willing to do what it takes?  Be encouraged.  Know that those who wait upon the Lord will renew their strength. They will run and not grow weary...

Are you like the anonymous strangers doing and seeking to reunite the lost with their Father?   Be blessed.  Thank you for  all the ways you reach out.  Even if they seem insignificant  and unnoticed...  The Eyes who never slumber or sleep will take note and celebrate every minute with you in glory.

Wherever  you are, know that LOST cannot have the last word.

I will search for the lost and bring back the strays. I will bind up the injured and strengthen the weak but the sleek and the strong I will destroy.I will shepherd the flock with justice .               Ezekiel 34:15-17






No comments:

Post a Comment